- Corporate and commercial
- Corporate M&A
- Banking and finance
Ben is a Special Counsel with Rydge Evans specialising in corporate and commercial work, with a particular focus on M&A and fundraising, both debt and equity. He has over 8 years’ experience in roles at leading Scottish and Australian law firms, as well as in-house.
This includes advising on various public and private asset and share purchases and sales, capital and debt fundraisings, re-organisations, joint venture and shareholders’ agreements, shareholder disputes and general corporate governance and compliance matters, including for ASX listed companies.
Ben also has extensive experience on commercial matters across a wide range of industries including: transport, aviation, defence, agri-business, oil & gas, commercial property, IT and financial services.
Ben has acted for major banks, listed companies, superannuation funds, hedge funds, private companies, partnerships, trusts, company directors and individuals.
Ben has a dedicated commercial approach to all legal matters, and is committed to achieving the best possible outcomes within time frame and budget.
Particular highlights of Ben’s work in Australia include the following matters:
- Advising an Australia hedge fund on a $50 million fund raising.
- Advising ASX listed Ainsworth Game Technology Limited on the $500 million sale of by its majority shareholder to Novomatic AG.
- Advising Coal of Queensland Investment Limited on its acquisition of coal assets in the Emerald area.
- Advising ASX listed Bulletproof Limited on its purchase of the business and assets of Cloud House Limited.
- Advising ASX listed Metgasco Limited on the provision of a $8 million convertible loan note to Byron Energy Limited.
- Advising QSuper as a member of their in-house legal team in relation to a number of investments including:
- the $562 million purchase of interests in 7 commercial office tower properties in Brisbane CBD and the UK£82.5 million purchase of the Exchequer Court office building in London, purchased through Luxembourg, US and Jersey entities;
- PowerCo and Brisbane Airport Corporation;
- the purchase of interests in Port Botany and Port Kembla (AUD$5.07 billion Industry Managed Funds deal) and the $423 million purchase of the Moomba to Adelaide Pipeline System;
- the establishment of a securities lending program with respect to QSuper’s then $14 billion dollar equity portfolio.
- Advising CRT Group Pty Ltd (a QR National subsidiary) on a variety of acquisitions and disposals of freight businesses.
- Advising Queensland Cotton on its investment in Newcastle Agri-Terminal, owner and operator of a bulk grain terminal at the Port of Newcastle.
- Advising TAE Gas Turbines on the extension and variation of an AUSDEFCON workshops business unit contract for RAAF F-111 Strike Reconnaissance Aircraft Maintenance and in relation to contractual arrangements for the total logistics support for the GE4-4 and 414 engines for the RAAF’s fleet of Hornet and Super Hornet aircraft.