Dispute Resolution & Litigation
Our primary objective is to keep our clients out of court if at all possible and seek to resolve disputes by way of negotiation or other non-litigated, means.
Of course, litigation is sometimes unavoidable. Our lawyers’ experience and understanding of the Court processes enable us to advise our clients on litigation strategies that will deliver optimal outcomes. Litigation can be costly and time consuming and often does not deliver the optimal desired outcome; as such we constantly review strategy and think outside the box for a resolution, whether it be through negotiation, alternative dispute resolution or, indeed, litigation.
We act for individuals and large and small organisations in a wide range of disputes and industries. We understand that disputes can be highly disruptive and divert valuable time and resources from your core activities. At the outset of any matter, we provide a thorough assessment of your position and a recommended a strategy or options to minimise your risks and provide a cost effective, timely and commercially acceptable resolution to your dispute. Throughout a dispute, we work collaboratively with our clients to manage their legal costs and the impact of the dispute on their businesses.
Our goal is to get to the core issues of the dispute fast and achieve a commercial outcome quickly and cost effectively.
Our expertise and experience
Our dispute resolution and litigation specialists have extensive experience in most disputes that arise in a commercial context including the following areas:
- Banking and finance
- Building and construction
- Commercial and contract
- Competition and consumer law
- Corporations law proceedings and advising directors and shareholders
- Property, development and environment and planning
- Insolvency and reconstruction
- Partnerships and joint ventures
- Securities recovery and enforcement, including personal property securities
- Strata Title and neighbour disputes
- Technology and intellectual property
- Trusts and Estates
- Acting for a senior executive of a multinational listed entity in defence of a $450 million claim by a major Australian Bank.
- High volume dispute and litigation work for Australian financial institutions.
- Acting for a major developer and builder in Supreme Court construction proceedings brought by an owners’
corporation alleging building defects and non-compliance with the relevant building regulations, including cross claims against the project certifier.
- Acting in multiple recovery proceedings on behalf of a major asset leaseback financier against defaulting clients and associated security providers.
- Acting for the owners corporation in respect to the attempted appropriation of common property by a lot owner.
- Dispute between contiguous strata schemes with respect to liability for maintenance and repair of a boundary retaining wall and related works.
- Acting for plaintiff and defendant parties in various defended defamation proceedings in the District Court of NSW.
- Advising a high profile Australian retailer in respect to potential defamation proceedings.
- Advising on a potential defamation action arising from the trial of former NSW police officer Roger Rogerson.
- Supreme Court of NSW proceedings appointing trustees for sale of jointly owned residential and commercial property and litigated dispute as to contributions.
- Multiple lease termination disputes including acting for tenants and landlords in respect to applications to the Supreme Court of NSW for relief against forfeiture.
- Applying for and resisting various applications in minority shareholder oppression proceedings brought against companies in the Supreme Court.